Kadyny

The Kadyny village is situated on the Vistula Lagoon, about 23 km from Elblag, in the Elbląg Hills Landscape Park and the Kadyny Forest Reserve. It is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Tolkmicko, within Elbląg County, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, in northern Poland.

In the village where our monastery is located today, in the Middle Ages there was a castle of the Old Prussian Pogezan tribe, that was beaten and destroyed by the Teutonic Knights. According to a legend, the name Kadyny is derived from the niece of Prussian prince Waidewurf, the daughter of warrior Hoggos, who was called Cadina and was supposed to live here with her husband. Undoubtedly, the name comes from the Prussian language, probably from the word "kudus" (mean, weak).

The Teutonic Order appreciated the strategic location of this place and established a village here. The first mention dates back to 1255. There was a Teutonic farm and a hunting lodge.

In 1425, Kadyny were owned by lord Machewitz. Great master Paul von Russdorf confirms in 1423 the acquisition of the Cadiz meadows by the commander of Elbląg Henry Hold, and on 13 November 1432 Kadyny became property of knight Jan Bazynski, who received these goods in exchange for a debt of the Order. About 700 years old, the thickest oak in the country, which is named after Bazynski, is growing in Kadyny. The property was left with small breaks in the hands of the Bazyń family up to the beginning of the 16th century, when, together with the Tolkmick governorate, they were transferred from the first Sigismund I The Old on February 9, 1508, in the possession of the Bishop of Warmia, Lucas Watzenrode, and his successor, Fabian von Lossainen. Under the management of the Frombork Chapter. In 1605, the last of the Bazyńskis - Ludwik Bażyński and his wife Anna from Białobłocki family - sold Kadyny to the city of Elbląg.

In 1682, Kadyny became the property of Johann Teodor Dietrich Schlieben, Polish palatinus of Livonia and one of the leaders of the anti-electoral opposition in Princely Prussia. Under the influence of the Jesuits of Reszel from Lutheranism, he became a zealous Catholic, which led to his active support of the Roman Catholic Church. The future sponsor aimed to bring in the Bernardines, to convert Protestants in the vicinity of Gdansk and Elblag. Even before 1682, he started building a chapel in honor of Sts. Anthony of Padua and of living quarters for the monks, at the site of the Prussian fortification on the mountain called the Castle overlooking Kadyny. He then addressed Fr. Erasmus Maron, Provincial of the Province of Greater Poland Province of Bernardines, to take care of this place. Johann Teodor Dietrich Schlieben became the founder of the Franciscan monastery, built with the permission of Bishop Augustin Michael Stephan Radziejowski. Schlieben donated not only a place for the construction of a church and a monastery, but also four Prussian morgues of arable land, meadows and livestock (two horses and two oxen) and two wagons. The first wooden monastic buildings and chapel were erected around 1682. However, they were of a makeshift nature and already in 1684 monks began construction of a new monastery and chapel called the House of Loreto. In the main building new monastic dwellings were created, a refectory and a kitchen were built, and heating was also established. Like before, mainly wood was used for construction. The new premises were inhabited by the Bernardines from 1699. However, the instability of the wooden building made it soon that they decided to erect brick buildings. The cornerstone for the new monastery, dedicated on May 20, 1716 by the Warmian bishop of Franz Kurdwanowski, was laid on June 5, 1714, and the finishing work lasted until 1728. At that time, the brick church building was also under construction. The construction of the nave with the turret extended to 1739. The interior was still used for many years to come. Eventually, the church was consecrated on June 21, 1743. This act was performed by the auxiliary bishop of Warmia Jan Krasiński. There were side altars in the church: of St. Francis of Assisi, of Anthony of Padua, of St. Joseph and of St. Anna. The main altar was dedicated to Our Lady of Immaculate Conception. The Chapel of Our Lady of Loreto was adjacent to the church. The altars were richly decorated and gilded. In the Chapel of Loreto and Sts. Anna Złota Słaboszewski performed the goldsmith work, other parts were made by the artist named Baar. The pulpit and stools in the choir behind the main altar, were also richly decorated. In 1752, the Stations of the Cross and new organs were purchased (1755), and in 1775 a front tower was built. In the years 1714 - 28 a single-storey and one-wing monastery building was built. According to the wish of the founder, the Bernardines in Kadyny, in addition to strengthening the faithful in the Catholic faith, tried to influence the Protestants.

J. T. D. Schlieben's work called "Three Crosses" is located at the " Way of Beautiful View" leading to the monastery. Schlieben is also considered to be the creator of the Kadyny mansion erected on May 14, 1688.

After Poland lost its independence as a result of partition, the entire region was adjoined to the Prussian state. In 1826 new authorities, implementing the anti-church policy made the cassette of the temple and the monastery. By the end of the 19th century most monastery buildings were demolished.

The Ruins were noticed only in the early nineties of the twentieth century. At that time, the Ministry of Culture and Art decided to rebuild the entire monastery complex for a home of creative work. However, they were able to rebuild only the walls of the church and put a steel structure on them for the future roof. Due to lack of funds the works were stopped and in such condition the object of the Bishop's Curia in Olsztyn was handed over. Church authorities have asked several bodies, among others also the Province of Sts. Francis proposed to cover the ruins in Kadyny. Official transfer of the facility took place on August 2, 1992. At the same time the parish of St. Anthony of Padua in Kadyny was established, on the area separated from the parish in Tolkmicko. There are about 300 believers. The first chaplain and builder was appointed by the Provincial of Fr. Leszek Czyściecki. In the years 1993-1994 the surviving part of the monastery building was able to be used. Then the rest of the monastery was reconstructed.

The Monastery of Friars Minor of the Franciscan Friars and St. Anthony of Padua.

Source:

- history of Elblag Plateau

- Province of Sts. Francis of Assisi Friars Minor in Poznan

- wikipedia

Welcome!